Monday, September 13, 2010

Kid Painting

A long time ago I bought a large canvas and some paints, with plans to have Moses paint a picture to decorate his room. He decided that he wanted to paint a picture of a truck, and I set about non-artistically drawing a (terrible) picture of a truck on the canvas and helping him "paint inside the lines"... You can see where this is going. It was not fun for either of us, and the end result was boring and ugly. Fortunately, in this area I can admit my type-A limitations, so I called in an expert: Aunt Cindy.

Cindy is a real artist - some day when I have wall space I want to buy everything she has ever painted. She is also great at hanging out with kids, so when she showed up with her bag of paint brushes, the entire truck painting experience was transformed.

Moses had a blast painting the sky, splattering rain drops, mixing colors, even playing tic-tac-toe while waiting for parts of the painting to dry. Cindy did a great job of guiding Moses without stifling his creative spirit. She explained to him that when painting it is really easy to paint over the best parts, so she encouraged him to take his time and stop painting when things looked good.

It was so much fun to watch the two of them create something so beautiful. I love how Cindy's painting and Moses' painting blend together seamlessly. It is definitely a truck, but definitely a truck that a kid painted. It is hanging in the boys' room which is still in transition. When I get things finished I'll show you pictures of how the painting looks on the wall (don't hold your breath, though. I'm a very slow decorator!) Thanks Aunt Cindy - we LOVE our painting!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

That is awesome! I think he may have some real talent there. Can you send her over to our place? Cuz my kids would love it... and I can't even paint a truck that well.