Sunday, April 3, 2011

Germination

After weeks and weeks of torrential rain, fog, and cold weather, things have finally dried out and spring is here! This is hands-down my favorite time of year up here on the farm. I will have to post some pictures for you in the next few days of how dang beautiful everything is up here. For now, I will just show you this tiny bit of green that is making my day. My tomatoes and peppers have germinated! Hooray for planning ahead and having a brother who is a scientist and gardening genius! This year I used plastic cups instead of the seed starting trays because they are bigger and I don't have to worry about my plants getting root-bound before I am ready to plant them. In addition to these friendly little sprouts, I've planted my lettuce, peas, beans, chard, and carrots outside (all by seed - I've decided that transplanting anything other than tomatoes and peppers is a waste of time). Fingers crossed on how those turn out - if you've followed my blog for a while you know that I don't have much luck when it comes to actual outside gardening. This year my pest-deterrent efforts have reached an all-time high; after a rabbit made off with two of the brussels sprout plants that I nursed through the whole winter I decided to go all out. Some day I'll show you some pictures of my garden beds - they look like plant jails. It is such an exciting time of year - planning, working in the dirt, choosing what things to grow, plotting the death of all snails and gophers within a 3 mile radius... How about you? Are you planting a garden this year?

4 comments:

Kayteedids Couture said...

Good luck Heather! I don't even try to plant things because I forget to water them! oops! You should contact my dad about anti-varmit ideas. He unleashed wrath on some wild pigs after they ate his whole pumpkin patch one year. He had/has some crazy inventions to stop little and big things.

Heather said...

Kate, our dads should get together! My dad bought a Freddie Kruger motion-sensing life-sized thing to put in his corn field this year and scare away deer. Sheesh.

Mrs. Cupcake said...

I am also excited for spring... if it gets her before next winter.

As of last Saturday there was still 3 feet on my lawn... and then we got a blizzard that dropped two more!

I honestly can't remember a more snowy year....

Anonymous said...

Looks fabulous cousin! I happened to marry someone who loves to cook. He actually grows herbs every year to use in cooking..I'll have to be sure to write Grandma about that! Last year we used the seed cups to help start them. This year we just started them inside in small planters Alethea gave us. Blake actually put some Saran wrap loosely over them and they started to sprout in less than a week! Basil and mint are our favs...

Kirsten