Saturday, May 26, 2012

First Swoon Block


Well I just couldn't help myself. Yesterday I sewed up my first Swoon block and I am so excited about how it turned out! This thing is big - 24 inches square, and I completely lost track of how many hours it took me to cut everything out and sew the block together. But this is one of those blocks that never got boring - every little step was fun. This looked so pretty on my sewing cabinet I thought about leaving it there, but then remembered the little people running around with dirty hands and quickly whisked it away to safety.


Rather than using white I used unbleached muslin - I like the natural look of it and think it complements the grays and browns of the Flea Market Fancy fabrics really well. If you look really closely you can see that I had to do a little bit of weird piecing to make that golden fabric work. I had just enough fabric, but had to sew little scraps together in the end to get my last few squares cut out. I call it pioneer piecing. :) Now it's on to the next block and my favorite part: figuring out what fabrics to put together!

1 comment:

Chris Calkins said...

Great fabric choice!
Wow! That's a lot of points! I only see one that will give you a problem.
Well done!