Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Revised Family Portrait


It has been 3 years since we took a family picture. The last one was taken at my parents' house after opening gifts on Christmas. We are all in our pj's, looking a bit groggy, and there in the middle (because she is the shortest) is my mom, in her beloved blue bathrobe and clutching her ever-present cup of morning coffee.

It's hard to believe that was three years ago already, and that we've already celebrated 3 Christmasses without her. Hard to believe it's been this long since we've gotten up the nerve to take another family picture. Somehow, capturing our revised family on film also captures her absence all too tangibly. And calling it a family picture doesn't seem quite right either. But this year it seemed enough time had passed to take the plunge. So here we are (although we're also missing Brett, my hubby, who was at work), doing our best to "look crazy," even though we're really just a bunch of book-loving nerds (except for the upside-down one, who actually is crazy!).

And at the risk of making this "crafting blog" just a bit too real, I will end by saying this. In my own journey of grief, I have learned that time does not heal all wounds. I know that it is possible to miss someone forever. But above all, I have learned that God is good and there is peace to be found. So here's wishing you and yours many fun family photos, revised or otherwise, this year and for many years to come.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

You know, we lost someone 3 years ago today who was really dear to us (Hal is named after him). It is amazing how everything changes after someone dies.

Totally thinking of you and your mom today.

Love, Lauren

Anonymous said...

Oh, Heather, I've got tears in my eyes! I can't imagine how much you miss her. I didn't know her well but I know she and Moses would have been completely in love with each other, and that she would be so proud of what an amazing mother you are.
If you feel like it, I'd love to see that last family picture you have with her.