Thursday, February 28, 2008

Better-for-you Enchiladas


I've always been a bit of a health nut - not over-the-top, but I get squeamish when it comes to adding loads of fat to my meals. So when I first got married I set about creating a lower fat enchilada recipe that also somehow snuck veggies into my stubborn husband's belly. Here's what I came up with:

Ingredients:

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
salt and pepper
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 medium zucchini squash, diced
1 1/2 cups of plain non-fat yogurt
1 large can of mild diced green ortega chiles
1 large can of enchilada sauce
1 package of tortillas
Grated cheese


1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees


2.) Spray a large pan with non-stick spray and saute the onions and zucchini over med-high heat until they begin to get tender - about 4-5 minutes. Resist the urge to add any oil - the juices will start to release from the veggies as they heat up. Add the chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes more.


3.) Meanwhile, add the can of chiles to the yogurt and mix well. Set aside.


4.) Prepare a 9"x11"x2" (or something like that... I never know pan measurements) baking pan by spooning in several scoops of enchilada sauce and swirling it around until the entire bottom of the pan is covered.


5.) Now you're ready to assemble your enchiladas. Lay out one tortilla and spread one scoop of sauce over it like you're making a pizza. Add a bit of chicken-veggie mixture and a bit of the yogurt-chile goop down the middle as if you're making a burrito. Sprinkle a TINY bit of grated cheese over all (you can eliminate this step all together if you want - the yogurt makes them wonderfully goopy without the cheese) and roll it up. Place seam-side-down in the baking pan. Repeat this until your pan is full or you've used up all your ingredients. Using the quantities listed above, I usually make about 8-10 enchiladas.


6.) Once the pan is full, spread the remaining enchilada sauce over the tops of the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.


7.) Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes.


8.) Enjoy!






6 comments:

Jen Mc. said...

Excellent- Definitely one to try!

pam said...

ooh, yummy. I may have to try those in my new Rachel Ray skillet which is huge and can hold tons! Thanks for the "healthy" idea. Hopefully my girls will go for it...i may have to omit the onions...bummer. thanks!

Lauren said...

Zucchini...good idea!

Renee said...

MMM...i am going to have to borrow Pam's pan and make them!!
Thanks!!

Renee said...

I made these on Saturday and my daughter who was helping me was grossed out that i put yogurt in the enchiladas...but then she tasted them and loved them. I had friends over too and they want the recipe!! Everyone just raved and they want it added to the list of our regular recipes!! Thanks!! Any other good recipes??
Hugs,
Renee

Heather said...

Yay - I'm so glad you guys liked them! Oh man, that would have been embarrassing for me if you had made them and they were gross. :)