Saturday, July 30, 2011

Lots to Sew



This blog has been short of sewing posts lately (maybe you're glad about that?), but that certainly doesn't mean I haven't been making things! My house is scattered with all sorts of in-progress projects. *sigh* Someday I will have a sewing room! Until then, the tops of furniture and various drawers will have to suffice. I'm working on a custom order for 6 baby girl bibs - and I always love it when the customer says "just do whatever you want."



I had a little shopping spree last weekend, which resulted in a large pile of yummy new fabrics that need to be ironed. I like ironing fabric - so soothing. I've read a lot about how much people hate ironing fabric and ironing their seams when piecing a quilt, but that is one of my favorite parts. It's so satisfying to turn something all jumbled up into a flat piece with a nice straight seam...



These guys have been waiting to be filled with lavender for over a week. And I didn't even take pictures of the pile of finished ones waiting for their photo shoot. I'm hoping to have the shop restocked with sachets some time next week... this new batch is really fun!



And, because I don't have enough overwhelming projects going on, I finally succumbed to the wiles of the hexagon charm quilt! I am super excited about this, and, in typical form, want to ditch all the other things I am half-finished with and spend every second of the day sewing little hexagons. But I won't. I did make my first 25 last night while watching a movie with the hubby - so very fast, fun and easy! I'm hoping to get a bunch of these little guys made (and I think I need over 1,000) on our upcoming road trip to Oregon. I promise to finish the bib order first, though! :) I've been wanting to make a quilt just for me, and hoping to incorporate a lot of the little scraps of favorite fabrics I've held onto over the years. I've been wanting to make quilts of tinier and tinier pieces lately, and one-inch hexagons are about as little as you can get without becoming ridiculous. Also, this quilt is completely hand-pieced (as opposed to being sewn by machine), which would accomplish another of my quilting goals. I'm envisioning the finished quilt folded at the foot of my bed... in my bedroom... (haha), so I have plenty of time to get it done. I'll keep you updated on my progress!

No comments: