Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The need to make

Last night I had the need to make something. Something different, something NOT for the shop, something I could just sit and make without wondering if it will sell, what I should charge for it, how I should ship it... Something that could just be made without regard to how (or if) it will be used. So I pulled out my scrap drawer and started cutting. Of course I made something small - I love making small things. I don't know why.
After piecing it together I decided it needed a word on it, and since I picture this on Moses' little rocking chair where he sits to read books, this is what I came up with:

It isn't perfect, which would usually prompt me to (environmentalists don't read this part!) throw it away, but this time I like it anyways. The process of creating was worth the end result - a slightly lumpy, strange sized, bossy pillow. It was fun! And Moses was delighted this morning when he saw it and learned it is "for only us."
I have a ton of ideas swirling around in my head for new products for the shop (would you buy a small bossy pillow?) but not enough time to sit and plow through perfecting a prototype for any of them. Sleep is still too valuable for me to stay up all night ripping out stitches! Hopefully as life continues to settle into a routine I'll get to that. But for now, fabric just arrived for a custom blanket, and another batch of bibs is in the works. And I have a 3 year old to read to! :)

No comments: