Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Slowly but surely

I've added a few more touches to Moses' bedroom - handmade items that I LOVE and am so happy to have hanging up. These are two little patchwork pictures I made a long time ago right after I received my first sewing machine (Brett gave it to me the first year we were married) and discovered my love of making things with fabric. No planning went into making these - it was kind of like sketching, but with scissors, fabric, and a sewing machine. It's nice to have them up for my kids to enjoy.

Then there is the needlepoint that Brett's mom made for him when he was a kid. Isn't it adorable? So colorful and full of things that the boys love (Titus points to the little car every day). I like thinking of Gail sitting on the couch pregnant with Brett and sewing this after the two older boys had gone to bed.

I'm always so impressed by the detail involved in needlepoint - I can picture the time that went into each little stitch, each choice of color. And it is so cool that I have this from Gail as well as one from my own mom (still need to get that one hung up!)

I am not totally confident in my interior decorating ability, but it is nice to see Moses' space evolving into something that is beautiful as well as functional. Having these handmade things up is such a nice way of passing on history and tradition. I can tell that even at his young age these little things are special to him because he knows the people who made them.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

I love it all! Very special indeed. Treasure it, as I'm sure the boys will, too :)
~Pamela

Anonymous said...

Wow, I LOVE that stitchery that Gail did!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the one Jane did.
Hugs,
Liz

Suzanne said...

That tiny "quilt" square is amazing. Ugg, the detail!! Anything I make by hand only looks good when you glimpse it from across the room. What a cool thing to have from your hubby's mom to pass down to your boys. Awesome. =)

emgray said...

Priceless! I love how she stiched Brett's name on it too.