Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Homemade Pickles

One of my goals for this year's garden was to make pickles, so I planted tons of cucumbers as well as dill, and for once, everything thrived. I'm not sure if the pickles will end up tasting good - I still have to wait a few weeks for them to brine in their jars. Even if they are gross, though, experiencing the smell of freshly cut cucumbers filling the kitchen was worth all the work.

It was so fun making my own pickling spice, using dill from our own garden, letting Moses fill up the jars with cucumber slices. I enjoyed every step of the process.

And there was something SO fulfilling about stacking 11 jars of pickles in the cupboard. Man, did that feel good. Looks like we might make it through the winter...

1 comment:

Jess said...

That is SO awesome! Opening one of those jars this winter will bring back a bit of summer, how can they not be good?!