Thursday, October 21, 2010

Just call me Paparazzi

A few weeks ago I volunteered to take pictures at my mother-in-law's high school reunion. It was really fun, aside from the fact that I am definitely not a photographer and am way too shy to ask complete strangers to pose for pictures. I got to lug around my dad's awesome camera with the huge lens that lets you take pictures of something from about a mile away - you are so far away that people don't even know their picture is being taken, so I was able to get a lot of great shots. I was also able to spy on this woman as she did whatever it is that she is doing. Does anybody know - is this "tatting lace?" I was so intrigued by it that I stared at her through my enormous lens long enough to realize I was acting pretty weird and that a normal person would just go over to her and ask her what she was doing. Of course, I didn't do that - instead I took pictures of it. Beautiful, isn't it? Equally impressive was that she was doing this (really quickly) while having a conversation with two other people, who she was looking at. This is actually my favorite picture that I took that whole evening, even though there in a blurry plastic cup in the foreground. Next time I hope to be brave enough to actually talk to her. Silly me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is tatting. very intricate! do you know that there is Lace Museum in Sunnyvale..the only one on the west coast! I have been there twice. You would love it, if you are intrigued by lace. They have large drawers that they pull out, with items on display. Very impressive. It is a small space in a strip shopping center, and I would need to find the address for you. Hopefuly they have a web. dont' know.
hugs,
Liz