Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Operation Redecoration - Phase Two

Here are some very belated photos of our somewhat updated "living room." It all started with this mirror that my mother-in-law gave to me. The silver looked beautiful at her house, but matched the color of our walls almost exactly. So, after reading Design Mom's inspiring post about painting her piano green, I decided to paint it a cool color and use it as a focal point to jazz things up. Here's what the room looked like before:

WOW. Terrible, I know. I knew it looked terrible and spent years trying to figure out what to do with this huge expanse of wall and strange corner area. There have been many variations of things-hanging-over-the-couch but all looked stupid. I have made Brett move furniture around into every imaginable configuration to make this area look better, and never did I think that a turquoise mirror was all that was missing. Ta-dah:

I LOVE how the mirror turned out! And my mother-in-law also had the idea to put a long shelf on the wall under the mirror to act as a mantle. Brett built it, of course, and yes, we do hit our heads on it from time to time when we plop down on the couch. It is totally worth it, though. :) Who would have thought that jamming a BUNCH more stuff into this area would make it feel larger? I love it. A few great finds at TJ Maxx filled up the strange corner space and now it is my favorite area of the house.

(The picture? That is Brett and I in the ocean in Bali. Dreamland Beach. That is its real name. Heaven.) Phase three will be figuring out what to do about the window to the right of the mirror... any good ideas other than curtains or mini blinds?

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Heather, you are one of the most creative people I've ever met! And everything you do comes out looking unbelievably gorgeous. I am simultaneously impressed and jealous. =)

Christy said...

This looks awesome now. No suggestions on the window to the side though. I just wanted to reach out to you and say thanks for sharing your story on design mom. It reduced me to tears! As I'm sure it did to most of your readers.

Heather said...

Thanks Christy and thanks for stopping by! It was wonderful to be able to share my son's birth story over on Design Mom - I'm glad you liked it (sorry it made you cry!)