Thursday, April 1, 2010

Buttermilk Scones

These would be a nice addition to your Easter brunch - my mom used to make them on special occasions and every once in a while on school mornings just to surprise us. The dried apricots are what put them over the top.

BUTTERMILK SCONES

Ingredients:
3 Cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp cream
cinnamon & sugar

1.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix together the first 5 ingredients. Cut in butter. Stir in dried apricots.

2.) Make a well in center of mixture and add buttermilk. Stir until dough cleans the sides of the bowl.

3.) Roll dough out 1/2 inch thick. Cut into heart shapes (that's what we usually do, but of course you can do circles or triangles...) Place on greased baking sheets. Brush tops of scones with cream then sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Bake for 10-12 minutes.


(When I was a kid my mom had me hand write a bunch of her best recipes on her recipe cards. I've since stolen a few of them - I love how this is stained with the ingredients of years of making these scones. Anything that holds a hint of my mom is precious to me.)

No comments: