Tuesday, December 27, 2011

do. Good Stitches January blossom block



This month (January) I am in charge of designing and assembling the Empower Circle's quilt for the do. Good Stitches charity quilting bee. It is exciting, yes, but to be honest, I am suffering from a bit of stage fright. Oh well, here goes! Above is a picture of the blocks we will be making. I was inspired by this quilt, which I can't stop thinking about! She made it using all solids, but this month we will be using prints in deep purples and pinks, with accents of gray and gold:



I couldn't find a tutorial for this block anywhere so I just figured it out, taking pictures as I went along (this required MATH. hm.) I'd love to give credit where credit is due, and figure out what this is actually called, so if you know, please tell me! I'll call it a blossom block for now, since that's what it reminds me of. Here is what you need to cut out:



4 large 6.5" squares in your chosen prints
8 small 3.5" squares in Kona coal (for bee friends; everyone else, use the same fabric you will be sashing with)
2 small 1" x 6.5" strips in Kona coal
1 large 1" x 13.25" strip in Kona coal

Lay a small square on the upper left hand corner of one of the large squares and mark your sewing line:



Since I am lazy and don't like to get up and down from my sewing machine, I like to do both corners at once, like so:



Sew your seams, then cut the extra fabric and save it for another fun project. Things should now look something like this:



When your seams are ironed, it will look like this. You have your first petal!



Repeat with the three remaining petals. Now you can finish your block using the strips you cut out. Here is the layout:



And now you're done! The end result should measure about 12.5" square. Feel free to mix it up as far as the petal part of the block goes (that's the large squares). Solids, prints, even pieced petals would look awesome if you had the time and felt like it.



I'm really looking forward to seeing how all the different blocks turn out!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Tutorial looks great! I can't wait to get started...that is after I whip up a couple heart blocks (my idea and I haven't found time to sit down and make them yet...) ;)

Heather said...

Thanks Kelli! I'm SO looking forward to seeing your finished heart quilt. Such a fun idea to let everyone improvise (and I think everyone is behind on the blocks this month because of the holidays, it isn't just you.) :)