Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Log Cabins



These are my first-ever log cabins and I love them! I can't believe I've never made this type of patchwork before. It is right up my alley - lots of strips of fabric and not much planning ahead. . I made these for what I thought would be a quick little birthday project for a friend, but my second attempt at following a real pattern turned out to be extremely frustrating. I didn't even take a picture of the end result because by the time it was finished I didn't want to see it EVER AGAIN. *sigh* (It's nothing personal, Rachel, honestly!) If I can offer a half-hearted explanation: I turned these log cabins into a quilted little change purse with one of those squeeze-on-the-ends-and-it-pops-open closures. I even bought these fancy closure things and waited for them to fly here all the way from China. And then, after bungling the purse part three separate times, I spent a HOUR AND A HALF "sliding" the clasp through the loops (the pattern should really say "man handle"). Ninety minutes. And I was not about to give up, either, folks. I had already made the dang purse three times and the light was at the end of the tunnel. So I sat there grumbling and almost crying with a pile of various sized butter knives, chopsticks, and tweezers in front of me until I got the dang thing finished. And the purse is actually super cute, I just couldn't bear to photograph it. BUT I loved the log cabin making part of the whole thing. And the giving-the-gift part, of course. I'm thinking a huge log cabin quilt might be in my future...

2 comments:

Jess said...

All us gals were drooling over that purse yesterday, Heather. Does this mean we won't be seeing these type purses in your shop any time soon? Sad.

Anonymous said...

i love log cabin anythings! too bad about it being so hard...sort of takes the fun out of it all. but...you did complete, and now have a sense of accomplishment, and i want to see it!!! once i made an apron, and it was very difficult (can you imagine an apron hard?), and when it was done i was sure glad it was putting it in the Quilt guild fundraiser, cuz i never wanted to see it again! hugs; Liz